Here are two questions I receive from time-to-time. I would like to address them here for all of my customers.
“Are your products Organic and non-GMO? Why don’t you get certified?”
95% of our ingredients are non-gmo. The other 5%, I’m not positive about. As far as organic; I purchase them when the price is comparable.
To become certified organic, and non-gmo is very costly and labor intensive. Frankly, the majority of my customers could not afford our products if we were to go that route. Our prices would probably about double. Many of our customers can barely afford the cost of our products now.
The amount of paperwork and “hoops” to jump through is amazing. I have checked it out. Did you know that the “organic” designation is a trademark owned by the USDA? There are certain chemical pesticides, fungicides and fertilizers that are allowed on organic fields. The rain is coming down through our chemical-laden atmosphere and layering these “organic” items with the same chemicals as non organic. Tests have shown that organic produce has 95% of the same chemicals as non-organic produce. To my thinking, 5% is not worth the extra costs.
Our old web host finally gave us control of our healing-scents.com domain name after receiving a polite letter from our attorneys. Healing-scents.com is now being forwarded to healingscents.com. If you use google, bing, etc to search for us and find any healing-scents.com urls that don’t forward properly, please copy the link and send it to us so we can get it fixed.
What do we mean when we say “custom formulated”for you?
Custom formulation means work for us; but the freshest product we can give you.
Our liquid soaps are made in 5 gallon batches. Our bar soap recipes make 36 bars at one time. Both of these work better when they have cured for 30 days.
Our lotions, creams, butters and ointments are made in 64 ounce – 2 gallon batches. As you can see; we do not have product sitting around. We make up our scent blends in 1 – 8 ounce glass bottles (depending on how popular the scent is.
Samples are made by hand. Filling little bottles and making samples is a labor of love to help you try different products we make.
When you order a product that has a choice of scent…..say you order a Citrus Fresh Shampoo; we put a couple of ounces of the shampoo base in the bottle; next we add essential oil scent blend. We shake well. Add more shampoo base and scent blend; shake well. We cap the bottle; label the bottle; make the next item you ordered.
As you can see; this is a labor of love. There are no bottles of shampoo or jars of whipped body butter sitting around just waiting for you to order them. The exception to this is a very few popular items. This is why we don’t put many items “on sale”. Products do not sit on the shelf getting old.
Barb is kept very busy making our soaps, lotions, butter, creams and oils. Carrie is our Order Fulfillment and Packing Department; Kathleen handles questions, comments, website, finances, and everything else.
Your products are made for you…not sitting in a warehouse shelf somewhere for 2 years before going to your local store shelf.